Daniel Swanton is our guest on the Committed Creative Podcast today. He’s a web design entrepreneur who confesses that while he isn’t necessarily creative, he is good at business, and that’s what’s helped him build the highly successful EMD Design studio in Melbourne with a tight team and a core of loyal customers.
His journey from being bored and frustrated at a marketing agency to going it alone and creating his own thing is an inspiring story, which he shares with us warts and all.
But what really stands out with Daniel is his determination to find the right customers - in effect, the right audience - for his services, and then only work with them.
He did it the old-fashioned way at first, cold calling businesses who he deemed likely to need his services. And now, with good work under his belt, Daniel is the one who gets the calls!
In this podcast, we talk about:
- How cold calling is a smart tactic for creatives
- Why connection with the customer is paramount for creating quality work
- How Daniel and EMD approach winning work and then delivering it
- Why there is no right time to start a business - only the opportunity
- How looking back, everything makes sense, even if it doesn’t at the time
- Why patience and hard work go together to create something meaningful
- How Daniel evolved his business and creative practises to keep growing
You can see Daniel's work with EMD Digital on Linkedin, Facebook, and Instagram.
If you love this episode, please drop us a DM on Instagram @redplatypuscreative
Feel free to take a screenshot of the episode and share it, along with why you loved it.
Want to find out more about what we do?
(Heads up - We're content writers who help businesses tell their stories.)
You can check us out at www.redplatypuscreative.com
Or book in a free call and let's discuss we might be able to help you.
Want to learn more on how you can quit your 9-to-5 and follow your creative pursuit full-time? Then sign up to the Committed Creative waitlist as we have a course that'll help you out dropping very soon!